Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Knowing God by Experience

I loved High School gymnastics. I would try so many daring tricks - and took quite a few falls before mastering them. My coach, who was the most wonderful person, was an excellent spotter. That means he risked his life from flailing body parts to make certain to catch us when we fell. My mom captured a great photo of him taking my foot to his face as he held out his arms below my falling body. Ouch! (for him . . . not for me.) Thank you Mr. Sullivan! Because I knew he was there, I became quite brave and tried many stunts that I wouldn’t have attempted otherwise. I knew I could trust him. Now, if I had never tired, and failed, I wouldn’t know this like I do.

I was thinking about knowing God like this. Sometimes I want to have that confident assurance of Him without stretching experiences which are so much a part of building that trust. How can I know that God provides without experiencing need? How can I know His rest and restoration without first becoming weary? How can I know He will lead me toward righteousness without encountering His help through temptation?

As I was reading Psalm 23 this morning, I found myself wanting David’s steady, calm, abiding faith in the sure goodness and love of God. I have that a little, but, if you read this Psalm, you will see an amazing depth of confidence. This kind of knowing doesn’t just happen by hearing about God, it comes by experiencing Him.

So today, I say, “Bring it on, God. I’m going to grow in trusting you because I want to know you more than anything. I want YOU more than I want a cushy life.” Oh dear, did I really say that? Do I really mean it? “OK God, a little bit at a time please. You know I am sensitive; just a little stretch would work just fine. God, are you laughing at me right now? Can you work with someone like me? Thank you for being a GOOD God. I love you Lord. Amen.”

“Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm 23:6

1 comment:

  1. I love this Wendy!
    You can see mine too at dianeneill.blogspot.com
    (Diane's Thoughts)
    And I also love the study "Live a Praying Life"
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete