Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Believing God When We Hurt

My heart is heavy today for families we know who are in times of trouble, serious trouble—friends without work losing everything, children losing a parent to disease, a wife having to let her husband die. The more difficult our trial, the more tempted we are to believe God is far off or hidden. Out of the depths, we cry, ‘Don’t you care, God? Where are you? Why are you letting this happen?’

But what does His word say? “You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted, you encourage them and listen to their cry.” Psalm 10:17

God is not distant. He hears our cries. He encourages us. Are you in trouble? Are you crying? Oh sweet friend, direct your cries to the Lord. Let’s not rely on faulty reasoning of God’s nature based on our experiences. Believe God. Believe his word. Look to the One who sees your trouble and grief. We have a choice of faith – will you choose to believe God? Will you put your hope in Him? Can you join the psalmist in saying, “I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in His word I put my hope.” Psalm 130:5 Saturate your mind with His truth – meditate on it. Take Him for his word.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10

1 comment: