Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Way or His

I remember one time my husband I were meeting up at a gas station so I could follow him to a friend’s home for dinner. We both loosely knew the city, but neither of us had been to this address. Not long after I started following him, I realized that he was not going the ‘right’ way. Without a cell phone, I decided to turn from the path he was taking. I roamed my way around on slightly familiar streets while feeling a little guilty. I had been stubborn, thinking I knew better, and declined to follow him. We both found the address, but he arrived first.

We make these kinds of decisions when following God too. Whose way will we end up choosing: ours or His? In the story of Jesus’ parents, Joseph was in a tough situation. Mary told him she was pregnant, but, they had not yet married. The Bible says that he was a righteous man and considered what he should do. Coming to this important decision probably kept Joseph awake at night and consumed his thoughts during the day. I imagine he prayerfully weighed all of his options. The Bible says he decided to divorce her quietly (break off the engagement) which, he felt, would save her from public disgrace.

I can relate to Joseph’s desire to do the right thing … I try to make thoughtful, honorable decisions. (Well, ehm… my above example with my husband was neither thoughtful nor honorable). But, let’s say… I usually try to make thoughtful decisions.

After he had it all figured out, an angel of the Lord spoke to Joseph in a dream. When he woke up, he changed his course of action and did exactly what he was commanded: He took Mary home as his wife (Matthew 1:24). Keep in mind, marrying a pregnant woman was scandalous. Joseph obeyed!

When the Holy Spirit redirects us, how willing are we to turn from our set course? We can easily justify our way with all kinds of human reasoning like, ‘I recognize this road and it sure feels right,’ or ‘I’ve made my decision and I’m sticking to it.’ It might even work for awhile, but, if it’s not God’s path….we end up late for dinner, lost, or worse.

The truth is, God’s ways are higher than ours and his wisdom is beyond searching out. Joseph listened and obeyed.

What important decisions are you about to make? Whose plan are you following: yours or God’s? Is your course of direction in line with God’s word?

‘God, show me how I miss your leading because I am unwilling to listen to you and follow your path. Catch me when I’m being stubborn and inflexible to your commands. Help me to be willing to change my course of action when you direct me… even if I might feel publicly embarrassed. God, I surrender to you, help me to let you over-rule my decisions. Your ways are better than mine. Amen.’

“Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all day long.” Psalm 25:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment